Dr. Douglas Cowan, Psy.D., MFT
Douglas Cowan is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with over 25 years of experience in helping children, teenagers, and adults to be more successful in school, at home, and in their relationships. His offices are just outside of Tehachapi in beautiful Bear Valley Springs. Are you looking for a professional counselor in Tehachapi or Bear Valley Springs?
- Doctorate in Psychology
- Masters in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Religion
- Serving the people of Tehachapi as a Pastor for over 18 years. He now leads The Living Room Ministry in Tehachapi.
- Cowan began as a Counselor in 1988, and has worked with over 1,500 clients in Lancaster, Bakersfield, and now Tehachapi
- He was Director of Child and Teen Services at a Charter Psychiatric Hospital for 2 years
- He is the Clinical Editor of the ADHD Information Library online resource for parents
- Cowan is the Radio Host for both “The Living Room” on KAXL 88.3 LIFE FM, and hosted “Family Matters” broadcasts for ten years on KERI AM 1560 prior to that.
- He served as the Director of Ministry for KAXL 88.3 “Life FM,” Bakersfield, CA 2012-2014
- He served on the Clinical Advisory Board for VAXA International, Inc., a manufacturer of nutritional products and over-the-counter medicinals for depression, anxiety, ADHD, and more from 1988 to 2011
- He is the Author of these resources: “The ADHD Diet” at ADHDdiet.info, “Married to ADHD,” and “101 Classroom Interventions for ADHD, “ and a Weekly ADHD e-newsletter with over 9,500 subscribers
Service in Our Community and Beyond:
- Through the years as a Pastor, Cowan has led teams to Mexico and Guatemala where these teams have built twenty homes for families in Mexico, and a school for children in a remote region of Guatemala. Cowan then served on that school’s Board for a few years to help the school get established. Today over 200 students each year receive a free education because of that school.
- Doug Cowan volunteers as both a youth hockey coach and as a youth baseball coach in Tehachapi. In the past, Cowan has coached baseball at the high school level in both Lancaster, CA and Kailua Kona, HI, and at the university level at California Lutheran University. He also once was a contract scout for the Texas Rangers.
- Dr. Cowan has led over a dozen weekend marriage retreats, encouraging over 300 couples from Orange County, Kern County, and Ventura County.
- As Pastor of Family Ministries at a local church in Tehachapi, Cowan both started and trained the volunteers for these resources in Tehachapi: Grief Share, Divorce Care, and Divorce Care for Children.
Chances are pretty good that you have met either Dr. Cowan, or his wife Susie, or one of their children at some time through the years. Doug and Susie Cowan have been married since 1981, and have three great children. Amber is married, and lives with her husband and two children in Portland, OR. Dallas is married and lives in Phoenix, AZ with his bride. And Grant is still at home growing, working, and playing hard.
The Cowan’s moved just outside of Tehachapi to Bear Valley Springs in 1989, and since they have been very involved in churches, and in Little League and other youth sports, and in a dozen other community activities as they have raised their children into adults, so it is possible that your paths have crossed at some point over the years.
Douglas Cowan has been a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (M24381) since 1988, and has helped people to change, and grow, and heal in a variety of settings, including private practices, inpatient hospital settings, and as a minister working in a church setting. He has written over 200 articles for parents and teachers on topics such as ADHD, and parenting, and his websites have provided information to over 1,000,000 parents and teachers since 1986. Today his ADHD newsletter for parents has over 9,600 subscribers.
Dr. Cowan is a professional and licensed therapist (MFT 24381) who, like any healthcare or service provider, charges a fee for his services, expertise, and time. Our office uses Therapy Partner as a practice management and payment processing system. This allows for convenient billing and payments, and provides our clients with a super-bill to submit to their insurance carriers for reimbursement. Please consult with your insurance company regarding their reimbursement policies.
Together we try to figure out what the problem is, and how best to solve the problem. And then, once the problem is solved, to help individuals and families to grow stronger in their love, and faith, and commitment to others. Counseling is more an “art” than a science. It involved providing direction, or advice, that leads to a course of action that moves the situation to a better place. Counseling is the application of wisdom, experience, education, and expertise to your situation, for your benefit. Are you trying to find a professional counselor in Tehachapi or Bear Valley Springs call Doug Cowan today.
A Professional Christian Therapist
Douglas Cowan is a devout follower of Jesus Christ. He believes that when life seems very difficult or uncertain that there are three truths that one can cling to:
- The Nature and Character of God does not change
- That God has uniquely designed and gifted us for a purpose
- That God actually loves us – always
He also believes in the potential of people to change and have freedom from the thoughts, fears, or cravings that seem to enslave them. He believes that marriages, families, and relationships can be restored, and that sins can be forgiven. Because of the power of Jesus Christ to change us, Dr. Cowan is optimistic that God can speak “light” into any situation, no matter how dark it seems.
Dr. Douglas Cowan offers hope and direction as a Professional Christian Counseling from his private office in peaceful Bear Valley Springs. Dr. Cowan is available to help those who are working through problems like:
- Depression, or Long-term Sadness or Frustration;
- Anxiety, Fear, or Worry;
- ADHD in Children, Teens, or Adults;
- Personal or Relationship Conflicts;
- Teenagers who are in Trouble or Non-Compliant, or Depressed;
- The Pain of Grief, or Loss;
- The Turmoil of Unforgiveness.
These kinds of situations are difficult both for the individual suffering through the problem, and also for his or her family and friends. Our relationships are important to nurture and protect. “Be kind and compassionate to one another…” is the Apostle’s encouragement to us, “…forgiving each other…”
Since you have read this far down the page, why not grab a copy of our free handout on Forgiveness?
For more information call our office at (661) 972-5953.